Friday, August 12, 2005

Wow. A Glowing Review Of The Rolling Stones. In Rolling Stone Magazine. Shocker.

The Rolling Stones played a surprise show at a club in Toronto. Rolling Stone Magazine gave it a rave review. Color me shocked. This is the same magazine that gave Mick Jagger's solo effort Goddess in the Doorway a five star (as in "classic!") review, while every other music reviewer in Britain and America panned it. Either Jann Wenner has more finely tuned ears than the rest of us, or he's in the tank for the Stones. Which one you think is true? (For the record, Jagger's solo outing wasn't too bad, but it was far from excellent.) I've seen some semi-interesting articles in Rolling Stone over the years, but by and large, I found it to be nothing more than a glorified Teen Beat Magazine. I haven't bought an RS in well over a decade, and if I do see something in it that interests me, I'll usually read it at a newsstand or a Barnes and Noble. It certainly isn't easy to find good new music these days, and frankly, I haven't been trying very hard lately. But if I do decide to sniff around for something good, Rolling Stone Magazine would not be the place I'd start. It wouldn't be the place I'd end, either.

No comments: