Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Modern Medicine

I'm always fascinated by the ways and means with which modern medicine arrives at certain treatments and cures. The latest example of this is this story, which say that the cure for HIV might be found through some form of crocodile blood extraction. Wow....never mind that they might be on to something; who'd have even thought to experiment with crocodile blood in the first place!?! I had a similar reaction when I found out that there were experiments being done with rocket fuel (yes, rocket fuel) to see if it had any effect on cancer patients. I've not heard anything about this since the late 90's (not that I've been keeping track of it), but it has always been a source of amazement to me that medical researchers would even come up with the concept to use a certain arcane source to cure the world's ills. What a tremendously imaginative time we live in.

No comments: