Saturday, June 11, 2005

Catcalls

Walking through the streets of New York this week, I've become reaquainted with the catcalling phenomenon. Men, usually of the blue-collar variety (but not always), make lewd comments or sounds as attractive women walk by...this is what I'm talking about. I've always found this practice distasteful and crass. About a decade ago I made the mistake of walking down the street with a business colleague who would make ugly, sexist comments to women as they walked by or ahead of us. Attempts to get him to shut up proved fruitless. Fortunately, he was the one and only person (that I can recall) I'd ever been associated with who did this in my presence. But I still find it embarrassing even when I don't know the offending catcaller. But the question that I've always asked, that has never been sufficiently answered, is whether this approach has ever, ever worked. I mean, do these guys ever actually succeed in getting a woman's number with this approach, much less wind up hooking up with them?

1 comment:

JunieRose2005 said...

But the question that I've always asked, that has never been sufficiently answered, is whether this approach has ever, ever worked. I mean, do these guys ever actually succeed in getting a woman's number with this approach, much less wind up hooking up with them?

posted by spitfire <<


(Catcalls)

As a woman I can say this kind of behavior has always seemed crude, distasteful, and insulting,to me!

JunieRose