Sunday, July 09, 2006

Since I Happen To Be Talking About Drummers....

....I figured I'd share with you a funny anecdote.

My friend Evan, a great drummer in his own right, was living in Virginia for a time. He had several drum students. One of whom he had was a 13 yr. old kid who, though he was technically proficient and diligent in his drum studies, hit the drums "like a p**ssy". (His words.) Communicating this issue to me over the phone, I asked Evan if this kid eats red meat. He said he didn't know (how would he?), but he'd ask. I told him he could probably fix this problem with his student if he got him on a red meat diet. (Better to amp up male aggression, didn't you know?) Evan mentioned to this kid's father that he should get his kid to eat more red meat, as it would help him with his drumming.

Week or two later, the kid comes in for his lesson. He's beating the crap out of the drums. The difference in attack is palpable. Evan asks the kid what he's doing differently. The kid says nothing. Evan asks him about his diet. The kid says his father is making him eat steak and hamburger every night, and he doesn't understand why.

Still the best piece of advice I ever gave someone.

1 comment:

JunieRose2005 said...

>>
The kid says his father is making him eat steak and hamburger every night, and he doesn't understand why.

Still the best piece of advice I ever gave someone. <<




:)

I wonder if someone gave Keith Moon that same advice!

Junie