Monday, November 21, 2005

Rome

Don't know how many of you folks watch the HBO series 'Rome', but it was one heck of a season. As usual, the finale was anti-climactic, but the second to last episode of the season was one of the best episodes I've ever seen of any HBO series. If any of you have HBO On Demand, I strongly suggest that you tap into the second to last episode, which had one of the most brutal (but exhilarating) gladiator scenes this side of 'Gladiator'. If at all possible, I also suggest that you watch the entire season. One reviewer called it 'I Claudius' for the Sopranos generation. (Clever description.) It brought history alive, in all of its Machiavellian, Hobbesian glory, resplendent with skullduggery, power plays, and a lot of internal conflicts.

Great stuff. HBO has really stepped up the last few years, and whereas I still dig 'The Sopranos', I have to say that I'm more impressed with 'The Wire' and 'Rome' more than any other show they have in their roster.

No comments: