Sunday, January 22, 2006

Mojo

Yesterday I picked up the latest issue of Mojo Magazine, which features Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey on the cover. I guess I could consider myself a fan of Mojo, as well as a few other British music magazines like Classic Rock and Q, for a very simple reason: far from writing about the latest "hot" act, they look at music in a much broader, linear way. Thus, in 2006, they feature two ol' geezers in their 60's, Roger and Pete. In every issue I've ever bought of the aforementioned publications, I've always read something interesting about an act or acts that I'd never known, heard or heard of. In this particular issue of Mojo, for example, they have several features on The Who, but also the Strokes (who I'm not keen on, but they are a current, popular act), Dion (famous doo-wop guy from the late 50's), and Thin Lizzy (Dublin-based hard rock outfit who were much bigger in Britain and Ireland than here). Far from being snotty and elitist like Spin or Rolling Stone, Mojo celebrates music in a wider sense. It's pretty refreshing, albeit more expensive, but worth every dollar.

1 comment:

JunieRose2005 said...

The first sentence of your post caught my attention!

(Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey!)

If I get a chance I'll pick up a copy of Mojo - Just for those 2 names! :)
(Who fanatic that I am!!)

BTW- clicked on your Mojo link but it didn't work.

Junie