Monday, February 07, 2005

McCartney Rocks the Superbowl...and the Game Was Pretty Good, Too

I'm not terribly interested in football. George Will once wrote that football "combined the worst elements of American life: violence, punctuated by frequent committee meetings". I'm a pretty big fan of baseball, though not nearly as big as some people I've met in the last ten years of my life. One person I met through a friend recently revealed such an egregious obsession with baseball (and the Mets in particular) that he monitored the Carlos Beltran negotiation in a similar manner that one would observe a Quotron during market hours, completely transfixed on the markets and certain stocks of vested interest. Except instead of a Quotron, he was tapping internet baseball sites and listening to ESPN simultaneously. Subsequently meeting this fellow out for drinks, he couldn't stop talking about the Carlos Beltran deal for minimally an hour straight, until the subject changed to Bob Dylan, at which point his fixation switched to ol' Zimmerman. Then he went an hour straight talking about Dylan, who's words and music I have a cursory knowledge of. I came to two conclusions regarding this strange specie of person:

a.) This guy is completely immersed in two things (Dylan and the Mets, specifically Carlos Beltran) that I know nothing about, and what a strange combination of things to be so knowledgeable about. And what a strange person.

b.) Anyone who could be that fixated on Bob Dylan and the Mets is too strange not be interesting. I knew very little of what this fellow was talking about. He made references to "Tangled Up In Blue", Choo Choo Coleman (the first starting catcher in Mets history), and Carlos Beltran all in one sentence. Any deviation from the Mets, Beltan, or Dylan was strictly coincidental, like to order another Budweiser. In the end, I thought this guy is great! What a suitably odd person to know. I'm very happy I made his acquaintance. F...kin' weirdo. I love that guy.

But I digress....

Anyway, I watched the Superbowl at an Italian restaurant with J., a female friend who I once had carnal relations with but no longer do. We managed to be friends still because she's the only female I can tell to shut the f...k up and she won't cry; if anything, she'll throw a haymaker in my direction, which I usually successfully parry. The dinner was great, and we caught three of the four latter quarters. The game didn't exactly go down to the wire, but it was exciting to the end. But enough about the game. How 'bout that Paul McCartney! He rocked the place. Even more amazing is that Paul is over 60. He still looks great, still can work a crowd as well as the any performer I've ever witnessed, and picked all great tunes. "Ride My Car" rocked, "Live and Let Die" had cool coordinated fireworks, "Get Back" worked well, and "Hey Jude" was, as always, a crowd pleaser. How funny was it to see 13 year old girls at the front of the stage? Paul did a great job. I hope that odious human being Yoko Ono was watching. Good guy Paul, who never left his family the way Yoko's erstwhile husband did, is still standing. And Yoko is still making bad art. Good for Paul.


No comments: