Monday, February 14, 2005

A Few More Grammy Reflections

I neglected to comment on a few other things I witnessed at the Grammys. I blogged whilst under the influence of four glasses of cabernet, so I neglected a few performance reviews, though I think I got most of 'em. Here we go:

1.) U2, from what I can hear/see (I was in a bar), put on a nice performance of a song that I'm not familiar with. Starting off slow and understated, it turned into a whirlwind of sound and intensity. I'm pretty happy that U2 is still around and making good music. U2 is one of those very few bands who's influences are virtually impossible to trace. My initial exposure to them was in 1983-84 when War came out. "New Year's Day", "Two Hearts Beat As One", and "Sunday Bloody Sunday" (utterly misused by the NFL on Superbowl Sunday, might I add) were all on heavy rotation on MTV at that point, and I was struck then (as I am now) by their complete originality of sound. Bono screen presence and voice were unlike any I'd ever seen before, and The Edge (what a great stage name) was one of the more unorthodox guitar players I'd ever heard. Twenty-two years later, I still feel the same way about them. Wholly compelling and original, both in image and sound.

2.) Hoobastank. Any band that has any kind of fecal or flatulence reference in their name gets crossed off my list. (Why call yourselves Hoobastank when you can directly call yourselves shit? Hey, if they won't, I will. They're shit.)

3.) Maroon 5. These guys strike me as Matchbox 20 knock-offs. And Matchbox 20 suck. As a matter of fact, I flatly refuse to listen to any band that has such difficulty coming up with a band name that they have to insert a number at the end of their name. Bland is back!

4.) Franz Ferdinand. I found nothing motivational about them, save that they were Scottish or that they named themselves after the assassinated heir to the Austro-Hungarian empirical throne. Wonder if these guys will ever get around to playing Sarajevo, and whether Bosnians will be into them.

5.) Hey...I saw Cyndi Lauper in the audience! Several times!

6.) Quincy Jones is still kicking around. Good for him. Tremendous composer and musician. Conducted Count Basie's band with Frank Sinatra on Live at the Sands. Also produced and arranged Thriller. Monstrous talent.

7.) Rush was nominated for Best Rock Instrumental for Neil Peart's drum solo, "O Baterista". Brian Wilson won for his instrumental, "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow" instead. Far be it for me to diminish the credit Brian Wilson isn't now getting (long overdue), but I'd like Rush to win one of these things, if just once. A thirty year career comprising of more gold records than any single band save the Beatles and the Stones is deserving of a hell of alot more.

I think that covers everything.

Spitfire

No comments: