Thursday, May 26, 2005

What's With The Knife?

Or rather, the lack of one. I'm speaking of Chinese restaurants, even the ones that serve Mexican fast food (like Fresco Tortilla). Now, I'm a big fan of Chinese food. I essentially subsisted on it in my 20's. A place called Hunan Wok/Jimmy's Place on 25th and 3rd got the bulk of my business back then; like most places in New York, it is now long gone. Fresco Tortilla on 35th and 3rd got a large chunk of my business for a while as well. The chicken combination plate was both tasty and reasonably priced. But like all Chinese-run restaurants, a disturbing phenomenon reared its head: the lack of a knife with your meal.

I've queried several people about this knife thing. One friend of mine said that using a knife at the table is considered bad manners by the Chinese. I once cornered a Chinese gal not too long ago and asked her about this; she said that the "bad manners" thing was bogus. She said it just isn't a custom that they have. Well of course it isn't; their custom doesn't include a fork, either. But if you're going to give a fork with every meal, why not a knife? And why a spoon, but no knife?

I don't think this question rises to the level of "if a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it, did it make a sound", but it still seems to be a question without a definitive answer.

The mystery continues....

No comments: